New Migrants

Settlement Guide for New Migrants
Bank Account

You can open bank account while overseas before migrating and you can transfer money to this account online. National Australia Bank (NAB) is one of Australia’s leading financial services organisations and also the bank of KSIJ Melbourne. NAB bank account is simple and convenient and you can arrange your banking up to 12 months before you move to Australia.

NAB Migrant Banking Click Here

Once you arrive in Melbourne, we recommend open NAB classic account as your first account as it does not incur any fees.

NAB Classic Banking Account Click Here

Tax File Number (TFN)

A tax file number (TFN) is a unique identifier issued by the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) to each taxpaying entity. You can apply for Australian Tax File Number online once you have arrived in Melbourne. The TFN letter mentioning your number will be delivered in next couple of weeks to your address.

Online TFN Form: Click Here 


Centrelink, is an Australian Government department that is managed under the authority of the Department of Human Services. Centrelink delivers a range of government payments and services for retirees, the unemployed, families, carers, parents, people with disabilities, Indigenous Australians, students aged 16-24, apprentices and people from diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds, and provides services at times of major change.

After arriving to Melbourne, visit the nearest Centrelink office in person and get yourself and your family registered. Centrelink will provide you CRN (Customer Reference Number). This number can be used for any future correspondence. At the Centrelink office, you will be advised to create your MYGOV account. Via this account, you will be able to claim any payments (if applicable in your case). For various payments and their eligibility criteria, either visit the link or talk to Centrelink Representatives.

Centrelink Offices Click Here

Centrelink Information Click Here

Centrelink Rate Estimator Click Here 


Medicare is Australia’s universal health scheme. It is a Commonwealth government program that guarantees all citizens (and some overseas visitors) access to a wide range of health services at little or no cost.

To obtain your Medicare card, visit your nearby Medicare Office. Some Centrelink Offices also have Medicare office. At a Medicare office, you and your family will need to register to obtain a temporary slip with your Medicare Reference Number. You can use this slip until a Medicare card is delivered to your address. It takes couple of weeks for card delivery to home address.

Medicare Information Click Here

Medicare Office Click Here


Depending on the duration of your stay you can search rental accommodation on the following links. To apply for a rental property, you will need to complete a form and attach all necessary documentation as required.

SES team will assist with short term accommodation. All costs associated with accommodation will need to be paid by migrants.

Realestate – Rental Properties



Short Courses

Australian government provide subsidised short courses to permanent resident visa holders and citizens. The purpose fo the course to update your skills and this has a positive impact on the employers. Following are some links to search for subsidised short courses:

Victorian Skills Gateway

Mobile Phone

New mobile sim can be purchased from any fuel station, grocery store, or local phone retailers. 3 major mobile phone providers are:




Photocopy and Computer access

Victorian public libraries offer so much more than just borrowing books. Generally all libraries have printing, scanning and access to wifi and computer access. To find your nearest library Click Here

For other priting and/or stationary needs, visit your local Officeworks Click Here

Schools in Melbourne

 Compulsory education in Australia starts at the age of five years. A school year in Australia starts in January and finishes in December.

Government School
Government Schools are subsided in Melbourne by Victorian Government. There are no choices available as it is usually decided by the local council on the geographical boundaries. So you will be assigned a school in the area where you are living. Contact your local council for further information.

Islamic Schools
There are a number of Islamic Schools in Victoria. As they are privately owned there fees varies from school to school. Consult the school websites for further information.

Sirius College Click Here

Islamic College of Melbourne: ICOM Click Here

Al-Taqwa College Click Here

Ilim College Click Here

Currently Melbourne does not have any Shia School.

Islamic Shia Madressa

Panjtan School of Victoria – St Albans Click Here

Australian MADE – Doncaster Heights Click Here

Hossaini Sunday School – Hampton Park Click Here

Finding Jobs

Before you start looking for a job in Australia, it’s important to have the right visa that will allow you to work. Not all visas will automatically give you the right to work in Australia, and some may have conditions attached. Read your visa letter or contact deparment of Immigration. 

You can get an idea of what jobs are available by keeping a close eye on Australian job websites.  Popular websites in Australia include:




These websites can also give you an idea of what salary is paid and how this can vary by experience and job type. Alternatively, you can read the national and local newspapers.

Halal Food

Search halal food Click here

Halal food is readily available now in Melbourne. There are many grocery stores, halal bouchers and resturants serving halal food. Always check halal certification before buying halal food.


Call 000 for any emergency

Medical Clinics: A simple google search will find you the nearest Medical Clinics. For all medical related matters refer to a Geneal Practioner first who will refer you to a specilist. 

Ambulance Victoria cover Click here

In case of emergency, a single call for an Ambulance may cost you thousands of dollars if you do not have Ambulance Victoria cover. 1 year membership = $46 for single and $92.05 for family.

Car Rental

Without car, live in Melbourne can be very tough. During the initial days of settlement, it may be best option to hire a car. 

Search and compare car rentals Click here

Second hand car

Carsales – new and used; private and showroom car sale search engine

Redbook – car valuation site based on car year and model.

Car registration and transfer services in Victoria are provided by VicRoads Click here

Before buying a used car from a private seller, check that it:

• had a roadworthy certificate provided by seller

• is not stolen

• has no money owing on it

• is not on the written-off vehicle register.

To check your vehicle’s status, visit the Personal Property Securities Register website Click here

Car Insurance

Search and compare car insurances Click here

Common types of car insurances; Third Party Insurance and Comprehensive

Third party Insurance

This is the least expensive option. It covers you for the damage you may cause to another car and may include limited cover for damage caused to your car by an uninsured driver. Think Third party Insurance is enough? It doesn’t cover you for damage you cause to other people’s property such as you driving into a Ferrari – that’s a whole lot of repair bills coming your way.


This is the best cover option but also the most expensive. It includes the cost of crash repairs or replacing your car, even if you’re at fault.

Modes of transportation

Train and Tram




General Advice

• Be careful about hook turns while driving in Melbourne CBD.

• Do not to leave children in car even for a minute without any adult sitting in the car.

• Each passenger (adult or child) must wear their own seat belt. Childern must sit on the car seats. 

If you have any information or advice that may assist new migrants, please email it at:

Monthly Newsletter

Sign up here for our monthly newsletter